Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Creative Impulses

Kieran is now 2.25 years old. It seems every day he develops in his thinking and perceptions of the world around him. Lately we have really noticed his imagination and creativity taking off, with role playing, imaginary dialogues, invented games, and so on. Of course, some of the creativity causes Mommy and Daddy a bit of consternation!

Case in-point, yesterday afternoon I was in the bedroom when I heard a scraping sound of Kieran moving something down the hall. I glanced out and noticed he was pulling his diaper trash can down the hallway As it is typical for him to drag buckets, laundry baskets, etc, around the house, I didn't really think anything of it. Until I heard him grunting at the end of the hall as he strained to turn the fully loaded diaper can over on its top!

I quickly asked him, "what are you doing?," he responded, "I need to turn the tree lights on," pointing first at the light switch at the end of the hall and then the Christmas tree (the Christmas lights run off a plug controlled by that light switch). "Ummmm, Kieran, you don't want to turn your diaper can over, it will make a mess," "Oh," he responded, clearly thinking of that eventuality for the first time. Then he grabbed the side of the can and proceeded to labor back down the hallway dragging it back to his room. I couldn't help but smile at his earnestness!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Thoughtful little guy, and yes very earnest.