Friday, October 12, 2007

Caffeine Free!!

So based on earnest advice from my Doctor, Psychiatrist, Counselor, and wife, and encouragement from a friend, I have quite coffee cold turkey as of this past Monday. To say it has been hard would be an understatement (hence the lack of posts this week except for the delirious one yesterday!). Luckily, the main thing that has suffered this week has been work, something I am entirely okay with! ;)

I woke up this morning after a normal nights sleep feeling more refreshed than I have in a very long time! Indeed, I am slowly creeping back into cognition and am finding my energy levels are already far less volatile than before. My 6-8 cups of coffee and pepsi per day had clearly begun to really affect my body (who would have figured?!?). Aside from a bit of tea, I am completely off the wagon.

Not trying to start a movement or anything, my major motivation was health and anxiety, look for future updates on whether these areas significantly improve. I know there is no silver bullet, but it is exciting to make a deliberate change that is already making a difference. Next up - Food consumption and excercise (ouch!).

Content by Ken

5 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

Good on ya! Nice work. It sure ain't easy, is it?

According to my limited experience (15 years of serious coffee addiction, and one cold-turkey detox), you're through the worst of it now. Enjoy your new energy (that doesn't come from a cup).

Tara said...

Yeah, when I quit Starbucks I quit caffiene too. Never looked back. Every once in awhile, however, its kind of fun to drink a cup of coffee and feel butterflies in my tummy. It has a very distinct, noticeable effect now that I don't consume it on a regular basis.

Unknown said...

Next is red meat, you've got to get back your physique or I'll trounce you like ever little brother dreams.

Melissa said...

Good for you, Ken! Coffee is in short supply in Bangladesh (at least the non-instant kind), so I've cut down here, too, although now I drink black tea instead! Oh well...guess I'm not as motivated as you.

Sara K. said...

Nice work! How's it going? -S