Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Morality and Existential Thinking @ 4

Kieran continues to surprise me with his awareness and thoughtfulness about life. Several times recently he has lain in bed with me at night after turning off the light and told me that he wishes grandpas could become Daddies again and that Daddies would never get old. When I ask him why he wishes Grandpas could become Daddies again he tells me that he wishes no one would ever die.

In moments like these I don't know what to say except what I am feeling as well, so I say back, I wish people didn't die too. I reassure him that death is natural and not to be feared, and that it takes a very long time for a person to get old and die. It is just so surprising that he continues to think about such deep issues at four years old, I don't know whether to be happy or really sad at this... I mean, I think it is amazing and show tremendous awareness, but every kid needs a carefree childhood, I don't want my boy to end up pensive and anxious....

I am also surprised by his ethical convictions. For example, the other night at the parent torture that is know as "Chuck e Cheese" I brought Kieran up to a game that already had some tickets sticking out but not claimed by the previous player. He had been looking up at the screen as we approached so I didn't think he saw them. It was a difficult game and he only one two tickets. Normally this would frustrate him as he likes to do well, but I was hoping the "extra" tickets would surprise and please him. At the end of the game I said "Look at all those tickets!" Kieran paused, and then without a word reached down, ripped off the tickets, and took the two most recent tickets off the end, leaving the rest on the ground. I asked him why he didn't take all of the tickets and he responded that those were someone else's. Despite my explanation that the last kid didn't want them, I ended up the one pocketing the tickets.

Kieran continually reminds me that children are a gift and a constant surprise, even as our heart aches for them when they are sad or when they struggle to succeed.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautifully said! Salma thinks a lot about death these days, too. What little philosophers they can be! It's bitter-sweet, isn't it?

Craig Frogale said...

Sounds like your son is a chip off the old block.