Sunday, December 03, 2006

Malaysia Trip x2

This is the 2nd post on my Malaysia trip to Melaka. The first post is above.

A chicken slaughter house I encountered in China town. I entered and told the owner that I also raised chickens in the United States. He was quite interested and proud to show me his shop.


Caged chickens available for purchase. Cost is 7 Ringgits per kilo, which is equivalent to $1 USD per 2.2 pounds of live Chicken.


A famous "chicken rice" cafe inside of China town. My Singaporean friends had lunch here, unfortunately I had a late breakfast at the hotel and skipped out.


I am on the left.


This statue really spoke to me, although I can't quite identify why?? On my next trip I will have to see if Maranda will let me put this in the living room. :P


Dining in a renowned Satay cafe. It was just a hole-in-the-wall but my friends from Singapore (not pictured) have a blood-hounds nose for tracking down good food. Indeed, I have it from many sources that Singporeans are renowned for the love of eating and it is considered the top national pastime. Here is one source.My lonely planet book says that it is common knowledge that Singaporeans will "swim a canal for chili crabs!"



Similar to fondue, the raw meats and vegetables were cooked in a pot in the center of the table. The sauce was heavily flavored with peanuts and chilis, quite sumptious!


My friends from Singapore after the meal (the resturaunt sign is at the upper right). The Singaporeans ate us under the table, we just couldn't keep up! My friend Stacy (the petite girl behind my left shoulder) ate as much as myself and another goodly sized American male, and looked no worse for wear, wow!!


It was really a great experience, although hectic at moments. Our 3 vehicles became separated at the border of Malaysia, resulting in my car driving alone to Melaka (1.5 hours to the north). Luckily we found the hotel after criss-crossing the town only 3 times! I was also stopped at the Malaysian border by the police and told that I had been caught at 143 km/hr at milepost 9. Knowing the Malay police are notoriously corrupt and always looking for bribes, I adamantly reasoned with the officer that Hertz rental cars from Singapore have a governor on the throttle which makes it quite difficult to achieve such high speeds (mostly true). In disgust he waved me on. I failed to mention that while difficult, 143 km/hr is not impossible given a nice downward grade! ;)

Later,
Ken

2 comments:

cleopatra said...

Hey Ken, just in case you have no idea about the dark truth of the satay foudue. You got to check out my blog for more info... hiak hiak hiak... =D

Maranda said...

Ha, Ha. I rather liked the first statue. Can we have him in our living room?? Although, Kieran was a little suspicious of him...