Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Little Fishy

So for those who know me well, it will come as no surprise that I took a day off work this week to go fishing! It was a great experience, even given the fact that it was a stocked lake and a blazing hot day! The really cool part was that it was a salt water lake next to the ocean, so many interesting species of fish could be caught, including snapper, grouper, and sea bass.

It was a slow day of fishing due to a very sunny and cloudless day. However, I was well rewarded and quite happy with this 2.2 kilo bass (5 lb). I was fishing with very light tackle and 6 lb line, so it was quite a fight with lots of jumping! Even the local fisherman were impressed by the size of the bass, they told me I was quite lucky. Being humble, I chose not to correct them ;)



Here is my friend Stacy with a Mango Jack Snapper, a tasty bottom fish!


The Snapper an hour later, prepared Thai style. Excellent!!


We enjoyed our fresh fish, fresh prawns (also caught by Stacy in a prawn pool), and a nice red wine at a seaside diner, very nice!!


Paying the price - can you say sunscreen?

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Definitely amazing to eat the catch that you singlehandedly reel in... yummy... =)



Stacey

Mike Croghan said...

Holy crap, that looks painful!

Mike Stavlund said...

Croghan, are you talking about the fish, or the fisherman?

Anonymous said...

Nice bass.
~another stacy

Maranda said...

Um, honney, it's "delicious" bass... And it did look quite delicious. Mmmmm.

Maranda said...

We keep looking at this post because it has so may pictures of you. I think Kieran's favorite is the close up of your sunburned face. He smiles and points and talks to you. It's so cute!