Thursday, November 16, 2006

Captain's Ball


I had a good, but busy, day at work. I was invited to stay after and play with my Singapore colleagues in a competitive game of Captains ball. Essentially it is ultimate Frisbee except that the frisbee is always live even if it hits the ground, it is played in a tennis court, and to score a goal you have to throw the frisbee to your goalie at the opposite end of the court. We played 2 games, one with a frisbee and one with a volley ball. It was a fun game that was mildly competitive but surprisingly team oriented and nice to the opposition, wow! I think I was guilty of fouling more than most, but the refs seemed to give me a beginners grace. I didn't let on that I always play sports that way! ;)

It was great fun to be included, I appeared to be the only non-Singaporean in attendance. We all wore matching T-Shirts and there was lots of emphasis on working together. Everyone were painfully good sports, I really had to shape up. I do enjoy this respectful culture though, it could really rub off (although I wouldn't hold your breath!).

The picture is of our winning team after the two competitions. We soundly beat Dry Etch, much to everyone's pleasure. I was told I did a good job, but I think the main thing I accomplished was a lot of sweating in the humid air.

No comments: