Friday, April 13, 2007

Father of the Year entry

So sometimes the stupid things we do as parents take a while to materialize and we are spared for a few years the consequences of our actions. In other instances, the repercussions are quite fast, say 24 hours. The other night I was playing with Kieran and just generally goofing around, I seem to have an enlarged ability to come down to an 18 month olds maturity level! At one point I got this great idea to play a biting game. I would gently bite Kieran's arm until he pulled away, then his foot, ear, and so on. It certainly didn't cause any harm and his peals of laughter were ricocheting of the ceiling. In turn he would also clamber up on me and gently bite my nose, my chin, and so on. I am sure most of you by now see where this story is going...

Sure enough, when I arrived at his daycare the following afternoon, Tina (who runs the daycare in her home) reported that out of the blue Kieran had started biting everyone! She said it was out of character and that a few times the bites really hurt. I reacted in disbelief and said, well kids go through stages at this age (as my mind was racing back to the night before). Tina responded that she figured his back teeth were coming in and he needed to chew on something. Still refusing to incriminate myself I replied, "yes, that certainly must be the problem, it should go away shortly." I sheepishly scuttled out of her home, feeling more than a little guilty that my misguided son had gotten in trouble because of his father's stupidity! So now that I have come clean, I vow in this public forum - NO MORE BITING GAMES! I will at least have to be creative in finding other ways to screw up my son!

I think I am in strong contention for the Father of the Year award, although I do face some stiff competition here and also here.

1 comment:

Mike Stavlund said...

Hey, thanks for the links... I guess ;-)

I think you've clearly pulled into the lead for Father of the Year, though I'm sure I'll catch up very soon. Hopefully, we can hide our true FAYness on Baptism Sunday!