Friday, August 10, 2007

Imagine by A Perfect Circle

In my musical forays, I have started to come across some wonderful new musicians and songs. When I find an artist or song that I feel is truly exceptional, I will blog about it here so others can share in my findings (or clue me in to new ones!). Of course for some of you this is not "news," so bear with me as I fumble around in the world of music.

A song that has really piqued my interest is called Imagine by A Perfect Circle on their album eMOTIVe. It has a haunting composition, with lyrics that capture your attention as they explore the possibilities of living in a very different world from today. It strikes me as both a bit melancholic (which suites me just fine) with a thread of hope running through the song. As soon as I have the funds, I plan to download the entire album, lemme know if you have already heard this album and what you thought of it?

Here are the lyrics:

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.


And here is the song on Rhapsody. If you download their free player you can listen to the song for free (after 25 songs you have to start paying for the service).

eMOTIVe by A Perfect Circle

Update: See the comments section, this song is actually a cover of John Lennon, which probably explains why it was vaguely familiar! I will check out more of their stuff and see if they have some equally compelling original content.

5 comments:

Shawn S. said...

Great song. Not one I would have come across on my own.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken,
Sorry I didn't respond to the earlier post, but I had no idea whether you were starting with the basics or you were looking for current stuff. That song is by John Lennon. Actaully, most (if not all) of that album is covers - from Marvin Gaye, Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, Devo, Led Zepplin, etc. They are all excellent artists and there is a WORLD of stuff I would be happy to burn for you. In the meantime, if good lyrics move you, start at the beginning... Bob Dylan. Actually, don't pay for anything yet - burned CDs are on the way. Kieran is free to destroy them as soon as you're done putting them in your iTunes library.

-Matt M

Ken Tennyson said...

Matt, thanks for the info! Other than feeling a little sheepish, it is good to know the history of the song.

Unfortunately I have to pass on the burned CDs as my friends in music would bitch slap me if they found out! I don't mind paying for a song if it is really meaningful to me.

Tara said...

Bummer, I made you and Maranda and Kieran each a cd - just put them in the mail today! At least let Kieran keep his. Its all music he can dance to!

Melissa said...

I love that song too--the John Lennon original version. Yeah, it's great stuff. And I agree with Matt--for great lyrics, you can't go wrong with Bob Dylan. He's the lyrics master!